Sunday, May 20, 2007

Big Sit, little dip

19-20 May 2007

Hoping to take advantage of three whole days off work I had planned to take in a rarity in Quebec City (Summer Tanager) on the 19th, then visit Gatineau on the 20th and finally Tremblant on the 21st. Unfortunately our only real source of bird information in Quebec also chose to take a break so, without up to date gen, we were not going to drive over to Quebec City on the off chance. Instead we went to the Richeleau Valley, heavily bedecked with shorebirds on 18-5, sadly bereft on 19-5, there is the little dip.

Fortunately, as far as some bird news is concerned, there is also Ornitho-Quebec, a newsgroup where people post their bird sightings and which I can usually work out despite my poor French. One posting was most promising, lots of good birds on I’le St-Bernard which is an hour and a half nearer to us than Gatineau and a pretty pleasant place to wander, off we went. We were pretty surprised to arrive and find that it was shut!

I’m not sure why it is shut, its a parks Quebec site and I know I’ve visited before although I suspect it was a bit later in the year. Perhaps they could reconsider their opening policy, especially as it seems to be so good for migration. Either way, we didn’t get in there and so ended up birding a cycle track until a very ugly girl with a loud bongo made us think twice about staying. When one of her equally ugly friends started to sing, that was enough to speed our departure.

Now the Big Sit bit.

Each year there is a Big Sit day whereby you choose somewhere to bird (hopefully bongo free) and remain there for one hour, recording everything that you see or hear. You are restricted to a twelve foot square and, despite the event’s name, are allowed to stand. I chose my local patch, St-Lazare sand pits, and settled into my watch point at 7.00 on Saturday 19th May. The ensuing hour was very entertaining and even added three species to my year list total.

I won’t print the full list but will say it was great fun counting 47 species and that includes not seeing the almost omnipresent Canada Geese, a Mourning Dove or Belted Kingfisher. Nor did the singing Purple Finch I passed on my way to the watch point make it onto the list and the frustrating Northern Rough-winged Swallows merrily hawking high to the east stayed steadfastly out of ID range.
So, a good Big Sit followed by some pretty indifferent birding luck. The year list is 211, Tremblant next, wish me luck.

















Pine Warbler, they make even Tennessee Warblers seem bright.




















A lousy shot of a Red-shouldered Hawk but, it does shot the characteristic pale crescents at the base of the primaries.


















Yellow Warblers, they are everywhere at the moment
























































Yet another Myrtle Warbler.
















A Chipping Sparrow without seed in its bill.


















Two White-crowned Sparrows remain in the garden. They are now so fat that they will have to hitch or walk north!

No comments: