Thursday, January 4, 2007

Warbler quest

January 4th 2007 and I took an approved day off work in order to see the Black-throated Grey Warbler that has been on I'le Ste-Helene in downtown Montreal since November.

Setting off early and taking a tortuous route along the south shore, I tried to locate a Yellow-headed Blackbird at St-Timothee without luck. My next stop was at Chateguay for the recently resident Red-bellied Woodpeckers, this time my luck was better although the one I saw stayed well out of camera range.

On to I'le Ste-Helene and eventually I saw the warbler as it showed very well around the bottom of young conifers, many thanks to Peter for taking the trouble to check back where the bird had been seen recently and where I was stood wondering where everyone had gone.

My next port of call was Chambly Basin and, after a bit of manouvering, I managed to find one of the White-fronted Geese which visit with the Canada Goose flock. I missed a Cackling Goose there but I usually find a few each year anyway so I'm not worried.

I spent the rest of the day searching for the Yellow-headed Blackbird, no luck again but a Common Grackle and three Red-winged Blackbirds were present.

Now the photos:

















Feeding very actively.



































Different light.

















Cardinals were in full song.
















This Red-tailed Hawk shot is from 31-12-06, it seems to show Characteristics of harlani.


















A nice Downy Woodpecker.

















Black-capped Chickadee, always busy and noisy.

No comments: