Monday, July 30, 2007

August beckons, thankfully.

Last post to 29 July 2007

With the less than exciting July (in terms of avian delights) now behind us its time to look forwards to the steady movement south of some of the species that eluded me in spring.

I seem to have many gaps on the year list that I had expected to have filled by now, particularly amongst the shorebirds. I’m hoping that water levels on the Lake of Two Mountains (well, hillocks really) and that my shorebird site starts to produce. The water levels at St-Lazare sand pits seem very unlikely to drop although another pit to the west of the main area has promise, provided I can get there before others disturb the birds.

I’m intending to get along the Charlevoix and Manicougan sections of the St-Lawrence, not just in the hope of a jaeger but also to see a few Whales perhaps. From mid September the observatory at Tadoussac just might give me Boreal Owl and American Three-toed Woodpecker and I hope to finally crack a Purple Sandpiper.

Since the last posting here I’ve not done a great deal other than enjoy the local birds and make inroads into the local dragonfly and butterfly populations in terms of identification and familiarization. This means I have taken very few photos of late, other than insects, so not much to browse below, in fact, if you know any blogs that offer views of paint drying I’d go and check them out now.

Finally there is a typically vague report of a Red-headed Woodpecker on the Coteau du Lac Golf Course. Looks like I’ll have to dust off my clubs and play my first round of Canadian Golf while taking a more than passing interest in the tree obstacles on course.

































A couple of views of a Great Blue Heron flying, but then you knew that already eh!


















Cedar Waxwing family groups have been conspicuous, taking time from gorging on berries to gorge on flies.



















And now, as meagre compensation for the lack of pretty birds to look at, here is a just for fun photo quiz. What are the species shown?























Photo #1 Location: Thailand.



















Photo #2 Location: Mediterranean.






















Photo #3 Location: Central America.



















Photo #4 Location: North-east Africa.



















Photo#5 Location: Middle East.

No comments: