Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Gyr Falcon at the Falaise

21 Feb 2007

Using a few hours I had been saving and with the weather calm but cold I set off to Mont St-Hilaire and the Falaise de Dieppe hoping to see one of the Gyr Falcons that roost there each winter.

Eventually a grey form arrived, announcing to all and sundry by calling loudly, that this was the home of the Gyr Falcon for the winter.

I took some distant shots, very distant in fact, still its the record that counts. The white bird hadn't showed by the time I left but, thanks to Gilles and Yves, I now know exactly where to look. If you fancy your chances, the birds are more spectacular in late March when the summer resident Peregrines reclaim their home.

Snaps below, sorry for the quality, the bird and the location (full shot).








1 comment:

G.A. said...

Hello Mark - It was very nice meeting you at La Falaise earlier today. The white form Gyrfalcon arrived about 20 minutes later. It landed 2 meters away from the grey Gyrfalcon. I'll go again tomorrow if the weather is right. Email me when you are planning to come again - I'll try to be there at the same time. Four eyes and two brains are usually better - unles of course it belongs to the same person...